The Fourth of July is a day of celebration, barbeques, and fireworks for most Americans. However, for many people the festivities will end in tragedy. The Fourth of July is one of the most dangerous days of the year for drivers and passengers. The holiday rivals New Year’s Eve for the most fatalities and drunk driving auto accidents.
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety reports that in the last five years of available data (2010-2014), 118 people died in car accidents on average each Fourth of July. Over half of these accidents are alcohol related.
When planning your Fourth of July festivities this year, keep these safety tips in mind:
- Never get behind the wheel after drinking.
- Always designate a sober driver before the festivities begin.
- If you are hosting, collect your guests’ keys and designate a sober key attendant who can call a ride for guests who have been drinking.
- If you are attending someone else’s gathering, ask if you can stay over to avoid driving.
- Reserve a hotel within walking distance of the festivities you will attend.
- Download a ride service app on your phone or program a local cab number into your phone.
Have a safe and happy Fourth of July!
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in an accident with a drunk driver, please contact Polewski & Associates online or by calling 501-404-0062 to schedule your free case consultation. Our board-certified personal injury lawyer and his team serve Dallas, North Texas, and Arkansas.