Surgical Error - Surgery Attorney
Dallas & North Texas Surgery Error Lawyers
Unnecessary mistakes during a surgical procedure can result in serious and sometimes fatal complications. Because every surgery is complex, there are numerous ways to make a mistake, from mishandling surgical instruments to operating on the wrong patient.
At Polewski & Associates, our Dallas surgery error attorneys provide our clients with highly personalized attention and the services of a board-certified Dallas medical malpractice lawyer. We also promise to devote all of our skills, experience and resources to ensuring that you have the highest quality of representation.
If your surgeon or another medical staff member does not follow the acceptable operating standards or fails to operate with care, even a routine surgery can become catastrophic. While every surgical error does not mean medical malpractice, if you or a loved one has been seriously injured or died because of a surgical mistake, you have the right to seek compensation.
Avoidable Surgical Errors
There are established protocols that surgeons and other medical professionals are required to follow before, during and after surgery. When these are not followed, it can lead to surgical errors that should have been prevented. An error can be made by a number of medical professionals involved in your surgery, including:
Types of Surgical Errors
There are limitless possibilities when it comes to surgical errors. The more common ones include:
- Anesthesia errors – Anesthesia errors are extremely dangerous. If a general or local anesthetic is administered incorrectly, it can result in loss of function, nerve damage or irreversible brain injuries.
- Surgical instrument errors – Any mishandling of a surgical tool can be catastrophic. If the scalpel slips and cuts an artery, significant bleeding can occur.
- Foreign objects – When a foreign object such as a surgical tool or sponge is mistakenly left inside your body, it can lead to a severe infection or internal bleeding that may not be identified until it is too late.
- Catheter injuries – A catheter that is incorrectly inserted can cause severe damage to your blood vessels or allow air to enter your bloodstream, which can lead to a stroke or heart attack.
- Careless operation – Although rare, sometimes surgeons operate on the wrong body part, or even the wrong patient. This is often the result of pre-operative negligence.
- Post-operative negligence – If a doctor or nurse fails to follow up and monitor your post-operative condition, you may be vulnerable to life-threatening complications like blood clots, infections and cardiac distress.
Types of Surgeries Common in Medical Malpractice Cases
These surgeries are some of the most common we see in our clients' medical malpractice cases:
- Gall Bladder Surgery (laparoscopic cholecystectomy) - Negligence by surgeons in cutting or clipping the wrong parts of the bile duct system can cause devastating injuries.
- Cosmetic Surgery - Negligent doctors performing what should be simple surgeries can cause life-threatening and disfiguring injuries.
- Foot Surgery - Podiatrists operating on bunions and hammertoes can cripple patients for life.
- Weight Loss Surgery - Bariatric surgeons who perform "assembly line" gastric bypass, lap band, and other weight loss surgery often make mistakes with potentially deadly consequences.
Experienced Dallas Medical Malpractice Attorneys
Surgical error cases require the expertise of an experienced medical malpractice lawyer. Lawyers who do not routinely handle malpractice cases simply do not know what to look for in the medical records, and do not have the knowledge necessary to win a trial involving surgical errors.
The experienced surgery attorneys at Polewski & Associates have been handling medical malpractice cases of all kinds, including cases involving surgical errors, for over two decades. If suspect you have been the victim of a surgical error, call us. We can help you find the truth, and if there has been malpractice, we can help you get justice.
Please contact Polewski & Associates today to schedule your free initial consultation. We serve clients in Dallas and throughout North Texas.