How do I report a nursing home complaint to the government?

If you suspect abuse, exploitation or neglect of an elderly or abused person at a nursing home, call the Texas Department of Human Services (long-term care) at 1-800-458-9858. When you call, you should have the name and address of the nursing home, name and room number of the patient, a brief statement of the complaint, and your own name, phone number and address.

Anonymity is guaranteed to anyone who files a complaint or reports nursing home abuse and neglect. If a complaint alleges that a resident has died or is in imminent danger due to conditions in a nursing home, the Texas Department of Human Services will investigate the complaint within 24 hours. The facility will not be given notice of the inspection, and witnesses will be interviewed in private. Nursing homes may not retaliate against a resident, family member, or employee who makes a complaint.

I'm unsure if I have nursing home abuse case. How do I find out?

The only way to find out is to have the case reviewed by a nursing home abuse specialist. The average person (and the average attorney) simply does not have the training and experience to recognize a nursing home negligence case when they see one. Each year nursing homes get away with thousands of cases of malpractice because the wrong people are reviewing the case, or because a lawyer who is not a specialist makes a mistake which results in the case being lost. The government will not tell you if you have a case, and it will not pursue a case for you.

The Dallas nursing home neglect lawyers at Polewski & Associates have been handling these complex cases for more than two decades. We know the warning signs of nursing home abuse and we can help you hold the negligent facility accountable for their actions.

What will my claim or lawsuit cost me?

Your lawsuit will not cost you anything. We will provide you with a free case evaluation. If we decide to handle your case, we will take our fee from the money we recover for you. If you do not receive compensation, we do not get paid.

Can you help me if my case is not in Texas?

Yes. Our nursing home abuse attorneys handle many cases outside of Texas.

How do I get you to look at my case?

We would be happy to schedule a free consultation with you to discuss your case. Please fill out the contact form on the side of the page, or if you prefer, you can give our nursing home neglect lawyers a call at 1-866-288-1716.

How Much Time Do I Have to Sue?

Not much. In injury cases, the general rule in Texas is that you have two years in which to file suit from the date of the accident which caused your injury. In certain types of injury cases, you may have to give a formal notice of claim within six months of the accident, or it is too late.

It is important act quickly to ensure that our lawyers can gather the proper evidence to prove your nursing home abuse claim. We will need to track down and interview witnesses, review records, and gather physical evidence. As time passes, it may be more difficult for witnesses to accurately remember the events that occurred, physical evidence may no longer exist, and records may disappear or even get destroyed. In order to prevent this from happening, we need to start working on your claim immediately. The stakes are too high to risk losing your settlement due to delayed action.

Please contact Polewski & Associates today to schedule your free initial consultation. Our nursing home abuse and neglect lawyers serve clients in Dallas and throughout North Texas.